Everything’s too much for me today. It’s enough. Now I’m getting started.
But what’s going here? Will psychological counselling really help me?
Together with your personal psychologist you decide what happens in your counselling. It is an exchange where you set content and pace. Your counselling is completely tailored to your wishes and needs.
How much you will benefit from psychological counselling depends on several things: Is it the right timing? Do my motivation and goals fit? It’s all about the perspective!
A trustful connection between you and your psychologist is a good basis.
- Is my problem important or big enough for counselling?
- How is the procedure of counselling?
- What does an online psychologist do with me?
- How often do we communicate?
- Does online counselling differ from on-site counselling?
- What are the advantages of online counselling?
- What’s the difference between counselling and therapy?
- How long does counselling take?
- What if I am not satisfied with my counselling?
- What if I want to pause or end counselling?
Is my problem important or big enough for counselling?
No matter what conflict you are dealing with -maybe you are annoyed because you wear shoe size xx as a woman and you have a really hard time finding good shoes. Whether the workload is simply getting too much, or as a father of several children, you are desperate because your wife ran away.
Each request is suitable for counselling. There is no right or wrong here.
It is always right to get impulses how to regain clarity, strength and courage.
If it turns out that your concern is too complicated or you could be in danger, you and your personal psychologist together will make a plan on receiving on-site support.
In any case, you can’t do anything wrong. Talking openly about your situation is the only requirement.
How is the procedure of counselling?
After you have selected a psychologist together with the Instahelp Welcome Assistant, you will immediately be connected to the psychologist of your choice. The chatroom will be your counselling room with your psychologist. The first counselling you can experience via text chat, audio- or video call, with an appointment or time-shifted – as you prefer. You will discuss what you want and expect from counselling, what concerns or worries you have and what you can contribute. You’ll also agree on how to proceed – so the counselling can get started.
From now on something happens weekly. Step by step towards your solution.
What does an online psychologist do with me?
In your chat room, your counselling room, you have a safe place to unload all of your concerns. While telling (writing or talking) we reorganise our thoughts and feelings.
Talking from the soul brings you the first relief and clarification of the situation. The most important task for the psychologist at this stage is listening – or reading, if you prefer to communicate with your psychologist via text chat. You will then receive suggestions for what can be helpful in your situation. Depending on focus or specialisation, your online psychologist knows valuable methods for clearing your chaos: Beneficial and encouraging conversation, mental strategies, reflection tasks, simple home work or relaxation units in live chat with video – the range is wide and you can try out what is good for you.
How often do we communicate?
Since you pay weekly, you also have a weekly credit that you can use per appointment or time-shifted messages.
Making an appointment weekly is particularly effective. This is where you and your psychologist can get closer and explore the root of the problem as quickly as possible.
Does online counselling differ from on-site counselling?
Of course, counselling via a technical device feels different from sitting in front of each other in a room. Physical presence, body language and non-linguistic messages play an important role in face-to-face counselling and therapy.
Online counselling can be seen as a very effective supplement to existing counselling offers.
Your abilities to reflect, to think, to order mentally and emotionally are stimulated within counselling.
Additionally, having the opportunity to get in touch fast with your psychologist via messages is emotionally very supportive and gives a structure that is especially needed in stressful situations.
What are the advantages of online counselling?
As a person seeking advice via online counselling you are flexible in terms of time and location and of course you are anonymous.
Besides, due to the distance between you and your psychologist a paradoxical effect occurs that brings you closer to your topic in less time.
Every type of communication has its advantages:
- Writing asynchronous messages means that you are super time flexible and you have the opportunity to write your thoughts down whenever you want. Writing alone effects that your feelings and mental knots are ordered – he chaos becomes a little ordered. This type of contact with the psychologist can lead to new reflections and insights.
- If chatting isn’t really yours you’ll find the audio call pleasant. You can say anything freely and express your feelings directly. A lot of information can be exchanged in a short period – which is very relieving. You can quickly build a good connection with this type of communication.
- If you would rather sit in a practice face-to-face with a mental health professional, but you haven’t made this step yet (because of the restricted availability on-site, time problems etc.), video chat could be the right thing for you. It facilitates emotional connection and support when you need it most.
What’s the difference between counselling and therapy?
The main criterion for counselling is that your situation has no disease-related value.
With online support from your psychologist you should be able to tackle your topic independently in everyday life.
Without being massively restricted. Psychotherapy and psychological treatment have the claim to treat mental disorders. Online counselling can’t meet this requirement.
Via Instahelp, you get in contact with clinical psychologists who use their extensive know-how and experience to recognise if people seeking advice are sufficiently stable or if (additional) therapeutic support is appropriate on-site.
How long does counselling take?
The counselling lasts as many weeks as you wish.
You can decide weekly how you want to proceed. It is helpful to clarify your expectations regarding duration and intensity right at the beginning. Common goals provide orientation.
What if I am not satisfied with my counselling?
Whether you are satisfied with counselling or not depends on several factors, such as:
- Feeling uncomfortable, as burdensome issues arise
- Unclear or overly ambitious objectives that can’t be achieved
- Communication form doesn’t fit (text chat, audio- or video call)
- Insecurity using the apps or technical devices
- Problems in meeting deadlines and appointments
- Unsatisfactory contact with the counselling psychologist
There is a solution for everything: Talk about your concerns directly.
Strong feelings that can occur while counselling are justified and are even more important.
Try another communication style, switch the counselling model or make new agreements that are tailored to your needs. In some cases, if you don’t have a good relationship with your psychologist, a change of psychologist will also help.
What if I want to pause or end counselling?
Every common pathway has an end – or not at all.
Manche Ratsuchende machen aus beruflichen, privaten Gründen eine Pause und melden sich nach Monaten wieder. Mit dem wöchentlich stornierbaren Tarif ist das ganz einfach. Der datensichere Chatroom bleibt für Sie und Ihre Psychologin stets erhalten und zugänglich. Das ist das Schöne daran.
Some people seeking advice take a break from counselling for professional or private reasons and start again after a few months. You can stop the weekly tariff. The data-secure chat room is always available and accessible for you and your psychologist. That’s a big advantage of online counselling.
Even a goodbye does not always have to be final. A „sparring partner“ being there you for in certain phases of life is waiting in the background.
Changes take time. One conversation can make you feel better already. Try it out! Find psychologist